Call for Applications: Editor (English)
The Canadian Journal of Education (CJE) is seeking an Editor or Co-Editors for the English language content of the Canadian Journal of Education. The Editor needs to have a broad view of current educational research. They will interact with researchers working in Canadian education institutions as well as other education researchers; will have a positive impact on the careers of fellow educational researchers; and will help develop the body of knowledge in education. The Editor should have experience conducting and publishing research, sufficient to enable the solicitation and selection of articles that will result in a high-impact publication that addresses the diverse interests of the CJE readership.
The Editor is responsible for selecting and editing the English-language content for the four annual issues of the CJE. All content must be consistent with the editorial policy set by the CJE Editorial Advisory Board and must meet the needs and interests of CSSE members and Journal readers. The Editor is responsible for maintaining the CJE as the premier journal presenting perspectives on all aspects of education including research, practice, and policy. The Editor is committed to making sure that the Journal maintains its reputation for publishing high-quality scholarship in these areas.
The Editor must be willing to work in an electronic environment, using the Open Journal Systems database for all Journal activities.
Term of Appointment
The Editor or Co-Editors will serve a three-year term, which may be renewed for a second three-year term at the discretion of the CSSE Board of Directors. The Editor or Co-Editors will report to the CSSE Board of Directors. The term will begin on 1 July 2022.
Duties and Responsibilities
The Editor has overall responsibility for the content and quality of English-language submissions to the Canadian Journal of Education, with duties as follows:
- Screen manuscripts submitted for publication and respond to authors as appropriate.
- Respond to queries from individuals interested in submitting manuscripts for consideration.
- Solicit manuscripts for publication as necessary.
- Seek independent, fair peer reviews of submissions that are accepted into the review process.
- Work with authors to revise manuscripts based on reviewers’ comments and his/her own recommendations for improvement (e.g., clarity, development of ideas, scholarly accuracy, overall quality, and compliance with publication guidelines).
- Write an Editorial for alternate issues.
Work collaboratively with the editorial team (including the Managing Editor, Francophone Editor, and Book Review Editors) to:
- Consult with the CJE Editorial Advisory Board on policy and editorial matters and strategic directions.
- Provide guidance to the special issue editor(s) to ensure the CJE’s scholarly standards are met.
- Maintain regular communications with individual members of the CJE Editorial Advisory Board.
- Convene an annual meeting of the Editorial Advisory Board during the annual CSSE conference, to discuss Journal policies and procedures and the direction of the publication.
- Report annually to the CSSE Board of Directors and the CJE Editorial Advisory Board on the status of the publication.
- Participate in journal promotion and development activities including, such as those offered by the Canadian Association of Learned Journals.
- Develop and present a session at CSSE.
- Prepare the journal grant application (i.e., SSHRC Aid to Scholarly Journals).
Please send a cover letter detailing your previous experience and vision for the journal along with a CV to the Managing Editor, Sharon Hu, at email@example.com, and Tim Howard, Director of Administration, at firstname.lastname@example.org, by 15 December 2021. Writing and editing samples may be requested.