Our Land, Our Future
NOVEMBER 21–22, 2017 • CALGARY AB
Bringing Indigenous youth to the forefront of Canada’s discourse on sustainable natural resource development
Join the Conference Board of Canada as we bring together industry, Indigenous and government leaders from across Canada alongside Indigenous youth for the National Summit on Indigenous Youth and Natural Resource Development on November 21 & 22, 2017 in Calgary; and help build a stronger, more equitable natural resources sector in Canada.
By attending this first-of-its-kind inaugural event, you will gain a variety of insights on how you can become a more supportive partner in this sector. Many Canadian organizations have embraced a progressive and inclusive approach to working with Indigenous organizations and communities around Natural Resource Development. However, meaningful engagement of Indigenous youth in many instances remains a critical challenge. It is imperative that we address this challenge because:
- Indigenous youth are the fastest growing population segment in Canada;
- Many Indigenous youth will soon be entering leadership positions with ever-increasing legal, economic and political authority over the lands and resources within their traditional territories;
- Very little is currently known about the unique needs, interests, aspirations, or perspectives of Indigenous youth related to lands and resource development;
- Failure to proactively address emerging issues will expose Canada’s resource sector to increased uncertainty and economic risk over the coming decades;
- A significant impediment to a collaborative, mutually-beneficial approach to resource development in Canada is the lack of understanding on the part of industry organizations and Indigenous youth about each other’s interests, needs, and challenges;
- Effectively engaging with Indigenous youth will help to ensure they receive meaningful outcomes from resource development alongside industry, and that their interests and concerns are genuinely addressed within Canada’s 21st century resource economy.
Nothing about us without us. The Conference Board of Canada is proud to be working with a balanced Advisory Committee of Indigenous, private and public sector representatives as well as Indigenous youth to put this event together. The Conference Board feels it is critical to have input and direction from those groups that are most knowledgeable about, implicated in, or affected by the issues that we will be exploring through the Summit.
Secure your spot at the event today, and register here! Save $200 off your registration fee by quoting priority code ESIYOP.
We hope to see you in Calgary!
Senior Manager, Northern and Aboriginal Policy
The Conference Board of Canada